This is the Grumpus Maximus Article Index. The index lists all Grumpus Maximus articles below, sectioned by their category and listed in the order by which they were published.
- Grumpus Maximus vs. The Golden Albatross — My story so far.
- What Is a Golden Albatross? — The story of the Golden Albatross.
Life and Money (A Catch-All Section)
- An Unintentional Meander Up Grumpy Avenue Part 1 — Lessons learned from my worst money mistake.
- An Unintentional Meander Up Grumpy Avenue Part 2 — Lessons learned from using a money manager.
- You Can Teach An Old Dog New Tricks — Lessons learned from early marriage budgeting efforts.
- The Reluctant Financial Voyeur — Lessons learned from helping a co-worker with money struggles.
- An Unintentional Meander Up Grumpus Avenue Part 3 — More lessons learned from more money mistakes.
- Service, Thanks, and Remuneration — Grumpus’s thoughts from Veteran’s Day 2017 about service life, remuneration, and the issue of “thanks”.
- Thankfulness and Bounty — Grumpus’s thoughts from Thanksgiving 2017 and his call to action.
- Sunk Costs: The Charlie Brown E-Bike Blues — A lesson on sunk costs and e-bike ownership.
- Work and Mental Health: Slaying the Dragon — Grumpus’s thoughts on his struggles with work and its impact on his mental health issues.
- Mental Health: Sad Work And Stuff — Grumpus’s thoughts on a career decision that impacted his mental for the worse.
- The Pension Series (Part 1): Pension Safety — Explains the factors that determine whether or not a pension will be there for a retiree.
- The Pension Series (Part 2): Worth vs. Worth It — Thoughts on determining whether or not sticking around for a pension is “worth it”.
- The Pension Series (Part 3): What is Your Pension Worth? — Preliminary thoughts on how to determine your pension’s worth or value.
- The Pension Series (Part 4): Total Dollar Value (TDV) of Your Pension — A technical breakdown of how to calculate the dollar value of a pension.
- The Pension Series (Part 5): Survivorship — A technical breakdown on how to determine if electing survivorship for a pension is the right call.
- The Pension Series (Part 6): Valuing Pension Subsidized Healthcare — Help with the hard task of determining the value of pension subsidized healthcare.
- The Pension Series (Part 7): How to Create Your Own COLA — A step by step guide on how to create your own COLA with help from ERN McCracken.
- The Pension Series (Part 8): Deciding to Take a Pension Lump Sum — A linked article to my guest post at CanIRetireYet.com on pension lump sum.
- The Pension Series (Part 9): Pensions and U.S. Federal Taxes — An article based on a reader’s question about how his pension would interact with U.S. Federal taxes.
- The Pension Series (Part 10): Geoarbitrage and Pensions — An article focused on the opportunities Geoarbitrage offers pensioners.
- The Pension Series (Part 11): Pension Lump Sum Case Study — A case study of a ChooseFI listener’s pension lump sum offer.
- Financial Planning (Part 1): Time and Planning — Initial thoughts on how to conduct financial planning.
- Financial Planning (Part 2): The GRO2W Plan — Step-by-step financial planning using the GRO2W method.
- University of the Golden Albatross: Roth Options Vs. Traditional Retirement Accounts — A defense of the use of Roth retirement vehicles vs. traditional tax-deferred vehicles for future pensioners.
- Retirement Planning: How to Calculate Your “Gap Number” — A step-by-step guide on how to calculate the amount of savings a future pensioner would need to attain Financial Independence (FI).
- Golden Albatross vs. The Visual Learner — A graphic aide to assist visual learners with financial planning.
- FI Numbers Don’t Lie, But They May Mislead (Part 1) — Initial thoughts on how to test your retirement plan.
- Test Your Retirement Plan: FI Numbers Don’t Lie, But … (Part 2) — Step-by-step guidance on how to test your retirement plan using a high powered retirement calculator.
- Golden Albatross Pension and FI Decision Trees (1st Draft) — More assistance for visual learners using flowcharts and decisions trees.
- Post-Retirement Planning (Part 1): Teamwork — Musings on the need for both teamwork and planning to make post-retirement a success.
- The Gap Number Method in … ACTION! (Part 1) — A follow-up article on the Gap Number Method after Grumpus’s ChooseFI interview.
- 5 + 1 Financial Independence Blogsites (Besides Mine) You Should Check Out — A review of six blog sites I’ve used heavily on my journey to FI.
- Track Your Money (Part 1) — A review of all the different money tracking software and programs I’ve used over the past 18 years.
- Track Your Money (Part 2): YNAB — A guest post from Grumpus Brotherus the Youngerus on his family’s use of You Need A Budget (YNAB).
- 3 Books + 2 Booklets + 1 Chapter = Financial Independence (FI) — A review of six books, or parts thereof, that will help you achieve FI;.
- Multi-Task Your Way to Financial Independence (FI) — A review of my six most favorite personal finance podcasts.
- The Grumpus Book Review: Is This The Perfect Golden Albatross Book? — A book review of Messages From Your Future: The Seven Rules for Financial, Personal and Professional Success by Larry Faulkner. (**Grumpus Maximus is an Amazon affiliate. See Disclosures for more details.**)
- How I Save Thousands Of Dollars and Get Professional Money Advice — A review of radio shows and podcasts that provide personal financial advice.
- Track Your Money (Part 3): Passive Tracking — The results of Grumpus Maximus’s year long experiment in passively tracking his family’s money.
- Track Your Money (Part 4): Mint All Breakdown — Grumpus Maximus examines the problems with Mint.com identified in Track Your Money Part 3.